I am not promoting myself to be the healthiest person in the world but I do take the following into account every time I turn on the burner, pull out my chopping knives, take a bite, and swallow:
- I eat everything in moderation. I prefer extra virgin olive oil on many occasions but lets be real… butter tastes better with eggs, peanut oil with asian fusion, etc.
- I believe in the full pyramid of food. I cook anything from fish and rich greens to beef and starches. Each item provides different fuel for the body.
- I try to go for the healthiest option. If I’m making an alfredo sauce, I will try using more milk and herbs in the sauce than just loading up the cheese.
- Know whats in your food. Home-made pasta sauce can take 10 minutes to cook, taste a million times better than the jar, and you have peace of mind knowing what is going into your body.
- I believe in the health theories behind a glass of wine with meals. Wine has been known to reduce stress, decrease the chance of heart attacks and can act as an appetite stabilizer. Sipping while eating may reduce your chances of over indulging. .